Well, it’s official. I’m 35-years-old. It’s been a pretty good run so far and I really can’t think of a thing to complain about. What can I say? I’m a lucky guy.
Since it’s a whopping two minutes into my 35th year and possibly because I just finished watching Nick and Norah’s Infinite Playlist a couple hours ago, I thought it might be cool to share a playlist of 35 songs that have meant something to me over the first 35 years of my life.
These aren’t my favorite songs and some of them I don’t even really like, but every single one of them triggers a vivid memory for me of a specific place, time and event in my life. Some are happy, some are sad, some are embarrassing. But they all have a meaning to me.
Now if I was really bold, I’d share exactly what memory each of these songs trigger. But I’m not that ballsy, so don’t get too excited. But I will tell you that they’re roughly in chronological order of when they had meaning for me so feel free to let your imagination run wild. It’s probably more fun that way anyway.
1. All Night Long by Lionel Richie
2. Dying in Fiction by The Front Lines
3. It’s Tricky by Run DMC
4. Get The Picture by Kool Moe Dee
5. Alone by Heart
6. Moondance by Van Morrison
7. Pick Up The Pieces by Average White Band
8. Old Love by Eric Clapton
9. Let Your Backbone Slide by Maestro Fresh Wes
10. The Joker by Steve Miller Band
11. With or Without You by U2
12. Dark End of the Street by The Commitments
13. Release by Pearl Jam
14. Rush by Big Audio Dynamite
15. When I Come Around by Green Day
16. The First Time by U2
17. But Anyway by Blues Traveler
18. Sweet Caroline by Neil Diamond
20. Thank God I’m A Country Boy by Bob Denver
21. Sexual Healing by Max-a-Million
22. Ants Marching by Dave Matthews Band
23. If Lovin’ You Is Wrong by Faithless
24. Dammit by Blink 182
25. What’s Left Of The Flag by Flogging Molly
26. California by Phantom Planet
27. Tamara’s A Punk by The Queers
28. Valentine’s Day Sucks by J Chris Newberg
29. Keep Me In Your Heart by Warren Zevon
30. If I Should Fall Behind by Bruce Springsteen
31. Lost Cause by Beck
32. I Feel Home by OAR
33. My Dear Acquaintance by Regina Spektor
34. The Likes Of You Again by Flogging Molly
35. West Coast by Coconut Records
Thanks to everybody who’s had any part in creating the memories that I have associated with these songs. You don’t know who you are, but…you know who you are.