Today is my birthday.
And for the past several years I’ve celebrated the occasion on this blog with a special post reflecting on my life.
It started in 2010 when I shared 35 Songs That Meant Something To Me On My 35th Birthday.
In 2011, I shared 36 Photos Of Places That Meant Something To Me On My 36th Birthday.
In 2012, I made 37 Donations In Honor Of My 37th Birthday.
And last year, I shared 38 Memories Of The House I Grew Up In On My 38th Birthday.
For this year’s post I wanted to do something that’s been reflective of what’s been quite a year for me – one filled with highs, lows, and a LOT of moving parts. But I’ve come out of it in a great place and filled with plenty of new insights about life. Or at least, my life.
So, I thought I’d share with you 39 Lessons I’ve Learned About Life in my first 39 years on this planet. Here they are, in no particular order…
1. You’re not as strong or as weak as you think you are. Ever.
2. People change.
3. Sometimes you get what you want in a way you never saw coming.
4. Keep moving forward.
5. The advantages you’re given are meaningless if you’re not willing to use them.
6. Nothing is a coincidence.
7. Just because you think you’re done doesn’t mean you are.
8. Music matters.
9. Little things become big things.
10. Trust your instincts.
11. Politics isn’t always a bad thing.
12. Things are never as good or bad as they seem.
13. Stay connected.
14. Mistakes are valuable.
15. Somehow, you always know what to do if you’re honest with yourself.
16. Slow down.
17. Consistency is more important than you realize.
18. You don’t have to go all the way, you just have to take a step.
19. Ideas are meaningless without execution.
20. Money changes everything, but nothing that really matters.
21. A desire to learn will take you far.
22. A good night’s sleep means more than you might think.
23. You think some people do easily what comes hard to you. They don’t.
24. Humility can be overrated.
25. It takes a lot of strength to be weak.
26. Confidence will serve you well.
27. Time changes your perspective. On everything.
28. Just because you have all the puzzle pieces, it doesn’t mean it’s easy to solve.
29. Your narrative matters.
30. Surround yourself with people who will be there when you need them.
31. There are no rules.
32. You don’t know the people you know best as well as you think you do.
33. Sometimes questions are more important than answers.
34. You have to fail in order to succeed.
35. Put things out there and see what happens.
36. Choose your words wisely – and listen to them.
38. A lot can happen in a year.
39. You can only figure out so much about life in 39 years. Stay tuned…